Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wow - That is all I have to say...



I love food. I love to prepare it for people and obviously, I really love to eat it.

My friends and I are also OBSESSED with Top Chef and now Top Chef Masters. So - for my girlfriend Nikki's "going-away" dinner (she is moving home to Denver for grad school, NERD!), we made reservations at Table 52, Art Smith's (who was also Oprah's personal chef for many years) new restaurant. We were amazed to get in, as I literally called for 4 months, everyday, to try to get in for our anniversary last year and finally gave up.

Well, the meal was RIDICULOUS! It is like "fancy" southern food, but so complex and amazing. Here is what we had, just in case I forget someday: fried green tomato & goat cheese salad, risotto fritters, shrimp & grits, catfish with cheese grits and smokey greens, scallops, gooey mac & cheese, and then an amazing dessert- his "Hummingbird Cake", which is a banana-pineapple cake w/ cream cheese frosting! OMG.

We had a food coma afterwards, but it was totally worth it.

I haven't even gotten to the best part. This place is the cutest little non-descript cottage on a quiet street by the lake. We had sat down, were having a drink, and talking about Art. I look to my left and HE IS STANDING AT THE BAR!!!! We all freaked out, and then he comes walking over to us and chatted it up with us for 10 minutes! We told him how much we loved watching him on TCM (he called Michael Chiorello "pasta" - so funny) and just shot the shit. He was sooo nice and then told us exactly what to order. I seriously thought Jane was going to go into pre-labor at the table.


Oh...it was not a night that any of us will forget for years to come. We will miss Nik so much - she is the most generous and spontaneous friend you could ever have. She has gotten my butt off the couch and out for fun so many times and I love her for it! If I had to describe her in one word - FUN. The past 7 years have been so fun with us all together in Chicago, and we cannot wait to plan a winter girls trip to the slopes!



I wrote Art a thank you note - I know, so nerdy, but it was that good and fun. We'll see if I get anything back! :-)



Again - a great night with the greatest of friends... Xoxoxo.

2 comments:

  1. YESSSSSS!!! Favorite post yet... LOVE the pictures you got at Table 52!!! It will for sure be a night to remember :) We miss you already Nikki!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just reading this ladies! AWESOME dinner. I am still thinking about it and all the seriously fun times we had. I think my jeans are going to thank me for less drinking and eating than I did this summer. HA. Best post, Mis!!!! Love it. Hugs and Kisses!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs