The last few days for our family in the city were great. We made sure to visit many of our favorite parks, favorite restaurants, take our favorite walks. I REALLY hope that they (really, Jack) remembers part of our time here, and I think it really helped shape who he is.
{scootering through the city streets}
We knew that we needed more space, wanted the kids to have a yard, {hopefully} a slower pace of life, and room to run around, but there were just so many memories on that Old Town, Chicago block.
{Green City farmers market and our donut tradition}
Scott and I moved in together in May 2003, were engaged in our first apartment later that December, bought our first condo right down the street in 2004, came home as a married couple that October, hosted 5 Old Town Art Fair parties, bought our 2nd condo across the street (my dream home) in 2007, brought home our first baby Jack in 2008, brought home Emma in 2010, and finally brought home little sister Sophia just this past May 2012. SOOOO many memories…
{goat cheese crepe and yummy coffee at Green City}
I do think that Jack will remember his first almost 5 years as a city kid and I am so glad that we gave them that experience. I do have to say that I don’t regret anything in terms of “missing out” – We really did take advantage of a lot that living in a big city as a family has to offer – we took them to tons of parks, the beach, every museum, downtown, rode the train, festivals, theatre, libraries, restaurants… {their favorite playing spot – the alley}
I think it helped Jack and Emma to learn people, gain confidence in busy situations, and it helped me to be “thrown in” to several situations that helped me to gain confidence as a mom. (when you are living in 1500sf with 4 people in the middle of a brutally cold winter, you either GET OUT and drag the kids to the Field Museum or you go CRAZY!) I will always remember Jack as a “city kid” – navigating the streets on his scooter so deftly, riding the El, talking to everyone he meets, making friends so easily at the park – great skills that I hope he hangs on to.
Scott and I cleaned out and fixed up our Larrabee condo last Saturday for our renters to move in that Sunday – as we were doing our final walk-through at 1am, we were emotional and talked about many of our “top” memories that we had there. We just can’t imagine how it must feel to move from your “forever home” – the one where you raised your family for 15+ years, as being there for 5 was hard enough to leave! When you bring your babies home, every inch of that condo had a great memory for us.
{our last night walk to our favorite neighborhood park – Bauler Park}
{Emma’s favorite “trick” – climbing the counters to retrieve her pacis"}
CHICAGO – Thank you for a wonderful 10 years!
No comments:
Post a Comment