I realize that most of what I write on this blog is in reference to our family, family events, family happenings, etc.
But this post is ALL ABOUT ME. And we’re all friends here, right?
In my dreams, I would blog about everything – what i cook, what i wear, what i read, my daily activities, etc. I’m probably not that exciting. I am so jealous of those bloggers out there, like Lisa Leonard, Mama Pea, and Kristin – how they share their lives, their passions (photography, healthy living, and cooking) with the world and have everything so well documented – it is probably such a release, too. I am a very open person (Scott would probably comment that I am too forthcoming and “without filter” at times), but that is how I “connect” with people – sharing stories, passions, likes/dislikes, etc.
I digress…
The reason I want to write this post is to keep me ACCOUNTABLE. Accountable to a more healthful lifestyle. Accountable to exercising more. Accountable for eating well. Accountable to shedding those last 5 lbs of baby weight, those 10 lbs I gained in college (damn you dining hall mac n’ cheese!), (and maybe even 5 more.) I have 4+ weddings this summer and the thought of putting on a little strapless dress is terrifying right now!
My issue:
I LOVE FOOD. I love to eat, mainly for the flavors, the experience, and the JOY that preparing food brings me. My long term plan is to work at a catering company (or start one!) when my kids are all in school…that would be my ULTIMATE JOB. My favorite days are days that my kids and Scott and are playing in front of me (we have an open lay-out home with the kitchen and living space in one area) and I am busy in the kitchen for HOURS prepping for the week ahead (I am anal like that, but when you get home at 5:30 and have 2 hungry kids and refuse to feed them nasty nuggets, that is what you have to do). I truly do cook very healthfully, but I tend to go way overboard on my portions – we eat fresh, organic food (about 60%), and I cook homemade, from scratch dinners 4-5 nights a week. I buy VERY LITTLE processed food (have you all seen Food, Inc? – SCARY), and we don’t eat out that often. But, life is busy, and sometimes it takes all i have to make myself a bowl of cheesy grits with 2 girl scout cookies for dinner at 9:30pm.
Our busy life also leaves little time for ME - for exercising, for working on my outer self. I KNOW i need to just FIND THE TIME to do this, even if it is at 5:00am (UGH) or 9:00 at night, but my motivation is VERY LOW to get out the door when my perky, squishy-cute daughter would rather me snuggle with her. I probably have run/exercised 15 times in the past 2 years. TERRIBLE. I want my children to realize how important physical activity is, and they learn from us! SO COME ON, SPRING!!!
So, I figure if I blog about my goals here, everyone who reads this post (including you, Dustin!) can help keep me accountable to the following:
End Goal
To lose 15 lbs by September (about 2 lbs a month = do-able?)
Smaller, Closer Goals – starting TODAY!
1. Exercise (run, walk, DVD, etc) 5 times per week for 45min-1 hour (preferably something to get my heart rate up!)
2. Spend more time on Sundays planning & prepping healthy meals (including my bkfst and lunch which is where i tend to eat poorly)
3. Prepare and eat “Meatless Meals” (this is going to be the easy part) 3x per week – get creative and have FUN! (But this doesn’t mean pasta every night)
4. Limit 2 cups of coffee a day – stop at 9:30am (I could literally drink coffee all day, its a problem when a Sbux is in my building), and switch to H2O – goal is 10 glasses of water a day.
5. Really watch portion sizes. If still hungry, drink a big glass of water!
6. Complete 5K in May (already signed up!) with a respectable time
7. Ask for more help so that I can find the time to do all of these things!!!
I kind of feel silly now writing this post, so I am going to press ‘publish’ before I chicken out. BUT….if you could all check in with me to see how I am doing on this, keep me motivated, and send any work-out advice my way (or ideas on how to find an extra hour in the day!), I would REALLY appreciate it! Ask me how I am doing, Knock over that bowl of cheesy pasta, and then encourage me to go buy a killer pair of jeans when i have reached my goal :-)
Happy Weekend – I’m off to make an amazing, healthy, gorgeous grocery list!
XOXOXO
Yay Melissa! I was just going to write a scary similar post. I need to make time for me as well! It's so hard with little ones. Good luck and we can make a standing running date 2-3 times a week if you'd like.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! My good advice: find a phone app for tracking calories. My bad advice: Check out thepioneerwoman.com if you haven't already! I love her blog.
ReplyDeleteYou know, it's interesting timing on this post. I was just about to start a new running blog today because I have had enough of being lazy, sitting on my butt, and complaining about the baby weight when I am doing nothing realistic to get it off. I ran two marathons before Abby, and now I am a lazy slug! Happy to check in and help keep you accountable - we all need it!!
ReplyDeleteone of our favorite healty meatless meals are black beans and rice. We do it in the crockpot. Very easy, tasty and filling. Let me know if you want the recipie.
ReplyDelete