Thursday, July 29, 2010

It’s like Christmas in July!

I am obsessed with my CSA. 

For those that are not familiar with CSAs or Co-ops, it is a “farming group” that I have joined that we pay for fresh, ORGANIC produce every week to be delivered to our home.  And it is FABULOUS! I just let them choose what they want to bring based on what is fresh/seasonal, which is the healthiest way to eat.  My sister in law Heather turned me on to this concept – THANK YOU!!!

I just had to give them a shout-out!  For someone who is doing WeightWatchers to lose this “Emma weight” (and who am I kidding, I’m sure there is some Jack weight, Miami weight, beer/nachos weight…), it has been fabulous and SO COST EFFECTIVE! 

It is on our doorstep when we wake up on Thursday mornings and it is SO FUN (here is my nerdy side) to open up my box and see what they have brought for the week.  Here is this week’s bounty – maybe I will make this an every-Thursday post just to amuse myself?  :)

IMG_7854

-5 ears corn- 2 heads cabbage - 1 head romaine lettuce -  1 head butter lettuce – 2 bunches bananas – 1 HUGE crenshaw melon (like a cross between a canteloupe and honeydew) – 6 peaches – 1 head cauliflower – 1 bunch swiss chard – 1 bunch celery – 4 beets (mom, I wish I could send these to you!) – 3 navel oranges – 1 cucumber – and 2 big zucchini!

…And all for just THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS!!!!

It is making dinner really fun for me to prepare and great for Jack to try different veggies…the kid has vary a food he doesn’t like, but sometimes getting greens into his diet is challenging other than broccoli and peas.

And Scott commented the other day “I think I had 6 pieces of fruit today”  - GOOD STUFF!  It makes me feel like a better Mommy to be able to give my family (even Emma since she gets the nutrients eventually!) freshness every day and teach them how to start good eating habits.

And I am now on the hunt on how to make those beets not taste like DIRT – any suggestions???

**For anyone in the Chicagoland area that is interested – here is the link: www.tcforganics.net

**For a list of CSA’s in your area:  www.localharvest.org

2 comments:

  1. I made a beet chocolate cake once! It wasn't the best chocolate cake ever but I felt a little better about eating it since it had beets in it! :-)
    You'll have to search for a recipe online, I don't think I kept it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you country girl at heart...yummy looking veggies and fruits.

    Beets, just boil them slowly, cool, peel all of the skin off, dash of salt and pepper, chill well and eat...no dirt taste ..remember, just try one bite !!!! You are missing out on a great treat. Love, Mom

    xoxo to my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs